-
September 4th, 2006, 08:06 PM
#1
Inactive Member
I have my re-plated panels for my copper C "Beauty" and have just received my re-porcelained burners etc. from Gigi. I am dancing around whether or not to take it apart further (panels are off now) or put it back together after a cursory cleaning , adjust the burners for propane, have it checked out by the gas person and fire it up.
So I sat down in front of the stove with some steel wool to have a heart to heart with the door. I scrubbed most of the rust off the door frame and where it comes together with the oven. My question is - do I have to get it ALL? i know that I can not paint the door seal - but I should paint the rest right?- (at least the areas which I have scoured the rust (and whatever finish might have remained) from?
Also, how do I get the fiberglass insulation to stick to the sides?
Sounds like a big deal to get the door off - (broken springs)- any comments?
<font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ September 04, 2006 05:08 PM: Message edited by: phoebe9435 ]</font>
-
September 5th, 2006, 01:48 AM
#2
Inactive Member
Phoebe:
Don't dispair. Our house Model B never underwent a total restoration, and we've been quite happy with it for the last 4 years.
I don't know what condition yours is in, but if you are happy with it as it now appears, and you think you'll be happy with it for the next few years, slap it together, fire it up and start cookin'.
With all that said, I know I would not be happy with broken door springs, and for that to be remidied, you have to dig kinda deep. You do not remove the oven door. Rather, you have to take off the front panel, then soak the spring retainer nuts in penetrating oil for a day or two, then carefully remove the nuts so you don't break the rods, and replace the springs (I've got exact replacement springs if you can't find them). If you've gone this far, then you may want to consider going farther in order to paint the cast iron door frame and the frame on the oven (see below).
Regarding the cast iron that you've steel-wooled, don't worry about painting any of it unless you are going to remove the front panel, dissasemble the door panels, and remove the cast door frame at the hinges. Then all the paintable cast surfaces will be exposed. You are correct in that you must not paint the sealing surfaces.
If you are not going to do the above, you can prevent rust on the surfaces you have steel wooled by simply rubbing Crisco oil on with a cloth. I've been doing that for the last few years and it works out fine. Or rub on that Stove Polish recently being discussed on another thread.
The fiberglass insulation beneath the side panels is normally held on with a couple of clips on each side. If they are not available, I would just improvise with a couple of paper clips to hold the insulation on.
Hope all this helps.
Good luck,
Joe P
-
September 5th, 2006, 12:01 PM
#3
Inactive Member
Thank you Joe for your help! I have the door panel (and all the other panels off) and am at the stage of replacing rockwool in order to make the door come back together. You are right, I am sure, I need to take the front frame off - is that a big deal? I will look it up in my handy revised manual.
I just needed the next logical step and you have pointed that out nicely... I'll keep you posted.
-
September 5th, 2006, 12:17 PM
#4
Inactive Member
I am sure glad ya'll are a forgiving group, cause,....I haven't done any of the 'oiling' of the oven. I'm sure it was greatly cleaned when we first put in our (to be finished) dream home. I did such a great job with all the cleaning agents I could find I ruined a thumb nail. But I didn't do any protecting to the oven bottom after getting it cleaned. I know it must be pitted (and now probably re-rusted). I have put at times, foil on the bottom ( I also still foil the drip pans so I don't have to scrub them)
My question is: What am I supposed to be oiling around the oven door? This is mostly going to have to be done by 'feel' since I am legally blind...v
-
September 6th, 2006, 10:52 PM
#5
Inactive Member
I still want to know - when removing rust, do I need to hit bedrock? I seem to remember (on one of these threads) learning that Rustoleum inhibits rust - I thought it referred to being able to stop active rust without full removal.
Am I making sense? - I have the kind of rust that is superficial (for the most part). I guess it is the difference between a wire grinder vs. some steel wool.
Thanks again
-
September 7th, 2006, 03:23 PM
#6
Inactive Member
Hey Phoebe, I've got the same question.
I've used the wire-brush-on-the-angle-grinder trick to remove all the loose rust, but I'm not able to get it to bare steel. It still leaves a rust stain on my finger.
I found something called Jasco Metal & Prep Primer at one of the big box hardware stores that says it converts the rust "into a rust-retarding paintable surface ... from ferrous iron to iron phosphate." It doesn't mention anything about heat, though.
But I'm wondering if I'm over-thinking this and the rust inhibitor in the high-heat Rustoleum will do the same ... or will at least suffice.
Any thoughts, anyone?
Jack
P.S. Phoebe, my wife and I spent Labor Day weekend just south of your neck-of-the-woods. Ernesto provided a bit of rain, but it sure was nice and cool down in them thar hills.
-
September 7th, 2006, 05:26 PM
#7
Inactive Member
Grind or steel wool off what you can, then apply some naval jelly. You can get it at any hardware store. That will get the rest of the rust. Remember, rust never sleeps.
-
September 9th, 2006, 12:39 PM
#8
Inactive Member
Thanks all,
I now have the door frame (cast iron part) sort of hanging at a weird angle - I took the screws out and removed the springs etc. on the door stops. I am searching for the info on how to remove the entire assembly (door frame) and am having a slow time of it. I remember something tricky - not enough to help though. I want to get at the whole frame for de-rusting, painting and perhaps I can switch out the bit of funky rock wool I can see peeking out at me from where the frame has shifted away from (top of oven frame).
Quick replies appreciated!
In the thick of it in Asheville!
-
September 9th, 2006, 01:38 PM
#9
Inactive Member
I did it - got the door asembly out. Scary! I re- scoured the manual and found the way. Now to scour all the cast iron. It's gonna be great.
Thanks
-
September 9th, 2006, 06:10 PM
#10
Inactive Member
I Bought some springs (for the door) - do they attach anywhere? They don't just sit there, right? One of my little "spring stops" is worn about through. Does anyone know where these can be found?
Thanks again!
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks